Make Yourself at Home ~

Serious Questions or Simply for Entertainment. This blog can be anything you want it to be ... Click the FOLLOW button ... makes me feel better. Add your message to Gills' Guest Book. Post a Comment at the end of a blog ... Email me with your questions: gmhesketh@yahoo.co.uk


Sunday 8 August 2010

The Book I'll be Reading this week is ...

Hi daughters and everyone else checking out this blog ~ you are all very welcome of course.

Just thought I would share this with you …

The book I’ll be reading this week, suggested to me by my daughter, is:
‘The secret lives of people in love’ by Simon Van Booy.
[note: actual book title is in lower case – would hate you to think I made a typing error].

It's a collection of short stories set in present day New York City, Wales, Cornwall, Paris, Rome and Greece [something for everyone]. ‘Simon Van Booy explores love’s labour and love’s loss with masterful simplicity and in touching detail.’

Quotes from the big guys: poets and critics:

‘Van Booy’s stories … stay with you like a significant memory.’ Roger Rosenblatt.
‘These stories take on the benign quality of fairytales …’ Daily Telegraph.
‘Intense, deliberate and calmly beautiful stories’ Irish Times.

So therefore, ‘The secret lives of people in love’ must be all of those things. I’ll let you know. It’s looking cool so far, the jacket; arty, mystic, elegant and tactile … not too heavy to read when lying on a sun-lounger or in bed, page number failry low [useful for train or flight reading]. So far, so good …

Looking forward to it ...

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment