Make Yourself at Home ~

Serious Questions or Simply for Entertainment. This blog can be anything you want it to be ... Click the FOLLOW button ... makes me feel better. Add your message to Gills' Guest Book. Post a Comment at the end of a blog ... Email me with your questions: gmhesketh@yahoo.co.uk


Monday 11 October 2010

Write Yourself Thin ...

Yes, it works ...
A study by scientists in America suggests that participants who write a food diary lose weight because they are reminded about snacks and treats that they unthinkingly sneak into their daily diet.

For those of you who’ve read my previous myfitnesspal blog – apologies – but I’ve become quite caught up with it all … I’ve told friends about it and they’ve become attached too – all with positive benefits. myfitnesspal can also be located on the internet www.myfitnesspal.com.

I’m a big fan of writing for therapeutic benefit [more serious info on this later – or email me for details – see previous blog on journaling] and with the fairly recent addition of myfitnesspal to my iphone [an app installed by my daughter (not in distress) to aid healthy eating and encourage personal fitness - was she hinting something?], I realised the action of typing my food intake into the system somewhat echoes my theories on writing for personal benefit.

I’m allowed 1200 calories per day. And yes, I go over - but am losing weight already. I enter everything I’ve eaten during the day [mostly] and list exercise [not much yet - but even a slow walk counts!]. Calories, fats, sugar, vitamin and mineral intakes are calculated at the click of a button… we know how we like to mess with our mobile phones … Sounds addictive? Could be. Waiting for a bus, visiting an old Aunt who’s repeating herself [sorry Auntie], in a Sainsbury’s queue [worse - a Poundland queue – get out of there – you’ll buy stuff you don’t need], just tap in ALL the food [and drink] you’ve put in your mouth – be honest – it works better that way. ** Note the calorie content of wines and spirits and that’ll cut down any over-indulgence in days.

What’s so interesting is that at the end of the day [literally], the lists boom out all your positives and negatives. Example: when I started myfitnesspal, I was between projects, bored, doing a lot of sitting down [writing some] and comfort eating [a lot]. So att the end of my early days, the lists would scream out at me: Chorley Cake ! Fruit Crumble ! Kit Kat (s) [Mint and Orange] ! My calorie count was hideous. These foods were logging up unnecessary calorie intake of disproportionate levels. I saw the light - like a shade-less 150watt lamp stinging my eyes. Chorley Cake: 225 calories Fruit Crumble: 345 calories [at least] Kit Kats (3): 323 calories … 893 calories Versus ~ Half cup grapes: 61 calories … no contest. Since then, each time I entered a cake or biscuit into the system, I didn’t feel guilty, I felt totally irresponsible.

So now I’ve lost half a stone – thanks to myfitnesspal.

But remember, you don’t always need technology - you can just Write Yourself Thin … Just keep a daily record of what you eat / drink. Dr. Victor Stevens [Center for Health Research, Portland USA] states ‘It helps the participants see where the extra calories are coming from.’ You’ll be surprised, not only at the amount you eat or drink, but the type of foods which could be cut from your diet or exchanged for healthier foods = vitality = energy = feel good factor.

Next Up … Surprising Super-Foods

After all that, I missed breakfast and substituted it for 3 Jaffa Cakes ~ felt guilty and had banana and grapes for lunch …not necessarily the way to do it … Hope you can do better …

Jill … [already planning a brisk walk and Chicken Salad for supper]

No comments:

Post a Comment