Make Yourself at Home ~

Serious Questions or Simply for Entertainment. This blog can be anything you want it to be ... Click the FOLLOW button ... makes me feel better. Add your message to Gills' Guest Book. Post a Comment at the end of a blog ... Email me with your questions: gmhesketh@yahoo.co.uk


Wednesday 8 December 2010

Question ~ How long can I store my Christmas Cake for?

Congratulations to Daughter in Distress who's obviously made a Christmas Cake ! I wish I could send you a prize. Suppose there's no real reason why I couldn't - but for the fact that I don't have your postcode to hand, I've no wrapping paper, the post office is closed, it's icy out there ~ and I've not finished my Christmas shopping yet!

Brilliant news on the baking front though! Really Well Done!
Christmas cakes are best left for at least a month after baking, probably more [obv wrapped up].
Don't keep cakes in the fridge.
Pierce holes in the cake with ie. cocktail stick or fine knitting needle for moisturising.
Feed the cake every couple of weeks with ie. Brandy.

You can keep the cake wrapped in foil and maybe a tin for some months ... the cake may dry out so will need more ie Brandy!

Marzipan tip - if you like old-fashioned rich grainy marzipan ~ substitute some of the icing sugar for castor sugar. Add extra egg yolk. Add ie Brandy. Yum Enjoy.

Try this recipe with a hint of orange and maybe a drop of ie Brandy ~ I would exchange some of the listed 175g of icing sugar for castor sugar too.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4827/zesty-orange-marzipan

If you're sending me a piece, cut the icing off, thanks.

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment