Make Yourself at Home ~

Serious Questions or Simply for Entertainment. This blog can be anything you want it to be ... Click the FOLLOW button ... makes me feel better. Add your message to Gills' Guest Book. Post a Comment at the end of a blog ... Email me with your questions: gmhesketh@yahoo.co.uk


Tuesday 22 February 2011

The Bigger Society

What's all this I hear about The Big Society?

Funds for the planned literature festival near to where I live have been reduced, maybe even withdrawn. Those interested in continuing with the festival will have to reduce costings, re-cycle and fund-raise.

So what's wrong with that? Why should we expect Councils to fund our every whim? Blame Government for every single thing that goes wrong?

Can't we do something for ourselves any more? We'll be expecting an ironing service soon [not a bad idea though], our windows leathered, a taxi service to the pub, an all inclusive holiday abroad or maybe a bicycle repair service? Actually, when I arrived at Sainsburys last week, there were 5 Police Officers offering to code my bike [for free], give me a bike lock [for free] and provide some sort of fastening [for free]. The officer seemed so intent on providing me with these items that I presumed [as with catching speeding motorists], he had certain targets to meet. However, it did take some time for me to convince the officer that I didn't actually own a bike.

Surely we should learn to become a community again. Care a little. We should come together to interest and help each other, be more sociable ... a bit like a family get-together ~ Once you're there, it's not so bad after all.

Okay, rant over.

But that's why I came home from today's Lit Fest meeting with 3 jobs !

1. Edit the lit festival newspaper
2. Form a writing group
3. Run a creative writing workshop during the festival !

I'm honestly looking forward to it. Any ideas for content, competitions or themes, drop me an email gmhesketh@googlemail.com facebook, twitter or comment in the box.

Get Involved ~ You know it makes sense !

* Date for your diary:
Blackpool Literature Festival 'Wordpool' includes Poetry, Drama, Arts, interactive activities, workshops, author readings, will be held during the week 5th - 12th November at the Winter Gardens Spanish Hall, the newly refurbished Central Library and other venues around the town. If you want to get involved, just message or email me.

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment