Make Yourself at Home ~

Serious Questions or Simply for Entertainment. This blog can be anything you want it to be ... Click the FOLLOW button ... makes me feel better. Add your message to Gills' Guest Book. Post a Comment at the end of a blog ... Email me with your questions: gmhesketh@yahoo.co.uk


Tuesday 27 August 2013

Weekends ...

I've learned something about the week ... it has a weekend attached to it!

I'm probably a workaholic. My family were and some still are workaholics. Knowing this, when I start a project, I always intend to create a work/life balance - but the truth is, I have never managed it. I become consumed with my project, not being able to leave it alone until it's come to fruition. The good news is that I always complete tasks within good time. I'm happy to work every day that ends in 'y.' My husband is a golfer, so he is happy to play golf on every day that ends in 'y.' The bad news is that every now and again, I run out of energy, concentration levels diminish; I lose patience with things, even the ability to laugh or switch off.

The other day, my husband was planning his golf thing as usual. My friends had been talking about arrangements with their families, plans to garden, tidy, sort, cycle, pic-nic, watch sport, shop, have a BBQ or even do nothing. Was it a holiday? I thought about it for a while but it was definitely the middle of the month and as far as I knew, no bank holidays were due for at least two weeks.

I had wondered why all these people were planning events during a similar part of the week. How could they coordinate that?

And that's when I learned that people didn't always work every day of the week. They actually took time off work. Generally, people didn't work over the whole weekend.

So, I am going to listen to my own advice; take some time out - for me.
I have decided not to work at the weekend. Well, I'm going to trial it at least. We'll see what happens.

But honestly - finding a work-life/personal-life balance isn't always easy. Too much work can create tiredness and in the long run, may weaken the output with regard to safety, speed or quality.

The same applies to being a carer. Carers often feel they are needed twenty four hours a day. That's why it's important to source family members to help; be connected with support groups, stay in touch with friends and look after yourself, taking rest breaks and short 'switch-off' sessions to recharge your batteries.

Take Care and Remember to Look After You,
Gillian


No comments:

Post a Comment