Make Yourself at Home ~

Serious Questions or Simply for Entertainment. This blog can be anything you want it to be ... Click the FOLLOW button ... makes me feel better. Add your message to Gills' Guest Book. Post a Comment at the end of a blog ... Email me with your questions: gmhesketh@yahoo.co.uk


Monday 9 May 2011

I Want to Ride my Bike ...

This Vintage BSA Loop Frame Ladies Town Dutch Bike currently stands at £1.04 on ebay with only 2 bids so far !

But there aren't any measurements with the ad which prompted me to remind you to work out what size bike you need.

For instance, frame sizes can start at 16" and go up to approx 21" [To be honest with you, if I'd realised there were varying frame sizes years ago, I would have been much more interested in cycling].

Wheel size is another consideration. Being only 5'3", bike wheels always seem scarily large to me. But now I realise the frame needs to fit your height and gender [see myra-simon below for in-depth explanation] ~ I'm hoping the wheels will be proportionate to the frame.

If you want to ride to college with a few books? Or the local shops for your food shopping? ... then a town bike might be for you. Think 'The Enigma' or Mary Poppins ... hmm ... did she have a bike? or just a brolly?

If however, you fancy riding further afield, then you may need something with more gears; tyres specific to the terrain and ditch the wicker basket for cool.

Check out these sites for all there is to know about choosing a bike ...

http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/womens-fit.html

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/womensfit/index.htm

Now get out there and burn some calories ...

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment